Friday, April 22, 2016

Unity broke again, how to fix it.

Updated to Ubuntu 16.04 today. I always update as soon as I can. OS updates, as well as regular updates, does however have a tendency to break Unity. I bit too often I think. When it happens, there are millions of articles online on how to debug and try to fix it. I've come to a simple solution that always fixes this constantly regressing piece of software.

Step 1: Always accept the default settings. This makes step 2 easier.

Step 2: When it breaks:

sudo apt-get install unity-tweak-tool
unity-tweak-tool --reset-unity

Now you can keep using your Ubuntu like nothing happened. This method saves half a day of googling a few times a year.

Update 2016-04-30:

Seems that Xenial might not have been ready for release just yet. Further updates has broken unity once again. But, as previously stated, --reset-unity will fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment